Sunday, November 2, 2008

My First Blog Entry...

I never saw the point in having a blog until I recently took the time to get on a few of my friends' blogs and realized that they don't have to just be about a mom bragging about everything she did with her kids this week, all the cute pictures she took, and how she has such a perfect wonderful life. I read of people's struggles and heartaches, as they were brave enough to share with others the feelings deep within their hearts. My heart ached for them as I cried tears that they will never know I cried for them. I was touched and uplifted by their strength and their faith as I read their stories of the trials they are being faced with in their lives. I have gained a respect for them that I could have never had otherwise, because I would have never known... I thank those of you who put more than just the fun day to day wonderful things that happen in your lives. I thank those of you who are willing to share the hard times. I don't think these people realize the impact they are making on the lives of those who read their stories. You have inspired me, strengthened my testimony, and made me feel a deeper gratitude than I have ever felt before for all that I have been given. 

A few days ago, I was having, what I saw, to be hard day. I cried all morning and couldn't seem to pull myself together to face the day. Later that same day, I felt guided to check my email which led me to several blogs that have literally changed my life. Before now, I have always thought of time spent on reading others blogs as being time wasted, so I have never really read anyone's blog. Oh how these few hours I spent reading have changed this opinion. 

I feel I have been so caught up in my own life, and my own problems, my own goals, that I have not even thought about what those around me might be going through. My eyes have been opened, my heart has been touched, and I have a renewed desire to get outside of myself and help ease the burdens of those around me by being a true friend - who is more concerned about what is going on in the lives of those around me, than what is going on in my own. We are here to serve, to learn from our own trials so that we may give of ourselves and what we have been taught when our friends and family need our strength. 

I feel so blessed to be surrounded by such amazing people. People who inspire and uplift me and make me realize that we are not here only for ourselves, but for each other - We are here to help and lift one another. We must bear one another's burdens, and comfort those who stand in need of comfort. I do not want to make this blog portray my "perfect" life that it seems everyone wants us believe they have, nor do I want it to be doom and gloom about all my problems. I want people to know that I am no better than anyone else. Life is not a contest of whose kids are better dressed, who has a prettier house, or who drives the nicest car. I don't want anyone to ever read my blog and compare themselves to me - To think what a perfect life I have and wish their life could be as good as mine. I know I have done it - I have compared my life to another around me and thought, "If only my life could be as happy and perfect as theirs." Well, I have come to realize, that no one has that fairy tale perfect life. No matter what it looks like on the surface, you will never know the hurts and struggles that are going on behind the scenes. The key is to be grateful for what we HAVE been given, for all that we DO have. If we focus on that, only more good can come. 

8 comments:

Nina Olson said...

You have no idea how much I love this post. You are absolutely right about everything said. We need to get together soon. I miss you.

gilbertaz123 said...

Good to see someone say it like it is. While it can be fun to see the facades that most blogs are, its refreshing to see someone pull back the reality curtain now and again so others who struggle with life's demands know we're not alone. It was really good to see you at the reunion the other night... you're hair looks great by the way. Hope all is well!

Nina Olson said...

hey we updated our blog address to ninaandadam.blogspot.com make sure to update it k!!

Heather and Brad said...

I'm so excited that you started a blog!! And I love this post. I totally agree with everything you said. I think I have shied away from sharing the some of the struggles I've had in my life, especially with my kids, because I fear that others will think less of them or me. You have opened my eyes though... I can now see that by bearing more of our true selves, what we are going through, and especially the blessings we are receiving along the way can inspire others and possibly give them strength to push forward in the midst of their trials.

I love you so much, Ree, and am SO glad that we will be sisters forever.

Karol Turley said...

Hey Baby Girl~ I loved reading your thoughts. I'm so happy you're starting a blog, and I'm looking forward to reading it. I love you so much, my little one! See you tomorrow! Mom

Nina Olson said...

laree,
k you need to update us on your blog. and you need to post something new. I am so sad I wasn't able to come see your mom on sat. I did get megan something though and have it for her so we need to get together so I can give it to you. text me soon.

Hadley's said...

Laree,
This is Andrea your cousin!! Your mom told my mom about yours and Heather's blogs and I have one to. SO anyways I hope it is ok that I added your blogs to mine!! My blog is anverl.blogspot.com. Your kids are Darling by the way!!!

Jessica said...

Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I really worried about putting such personal things on my blog and still do sometimes. But it has been really wonderful for me to put my thoughts down and makes me feel better to share it. Thanks for sharing your sister's blog with me. She, like you, is an amazing woman. BTW, your family pictures are beautiful!!